Gangasagar Mela Makar Sankranti Holy Bath GOD Kapilmuni Darshan : A Complete Travel Guide
Naga Baba at Near Gangasagar Kapilmuni Temple
For devotees in pursuit of salvation and renaissance, a dip into the holy waters of River Ganges during the Gangasagar Mela is an experience worth reminiscing. The festival is globally acclaimed owing to its religious essence and importance in one’s life. The Gangasagar Yatra is the 2nd biggest congregation of pilgrims after the world famous Kumbha Mela.
Festival Name: Gangasagar Mela Makar Sankranti Purna Snan Yatra
Venue: Sagar Island, Kakdwip Subdivision, District – South 24 Parganas, West Bengal
Celebrated in: Makar Sankranti, 10th to 16th January
Duration: 4-5 Days
Puja Timings: 3 a.m. onwards
Accommodation: DS Tent & Camp Near Gangasagar Mela area.
Nearest Airport: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata (122.8 km)
Nearest Rail Junction: Sealdah Junction (106 km)
Gangasagar Mela and God Kapilmuni Darshan
About Gangasagar Mela :
Ganga Sagar Mela is one of the most feted fairs in India, celebrated with titanic pomp and grandeur in the kingdom of West Bengal. It is held each and every year in the month of January on the pious event of Makar Sankranti. The Gangasagar Mela area is the place the Ganga River merges with the Bay of Bengal, at the Sagar Island in West Bengal.
It is believed that taking a dip into the sacred waters at this lovely confluence can help one alleviate his pain and sufferings. Makar Sankranti is considered to be most auspicious for the event, when tens of millions of devotees take a holy bath to cleanse his sins. The mela’s spiritual value and amalgamation of various way of life attracts vacationers from around the world.
Devotees arrive at least a week ahead of the fair. Make sure you make bookings in advance to avoid last-minute hassles. For exclusive Kolkata to Gangasagar Car Rental, Gangasagar Mela packages, Gangasagar Mela Private Tent Camp with Attach Toilet, contact us on 9650747276 /9933507757 or write to us at [email protected]
Gangasagar Mela History :
The history of Gangasagar dates back to the ancient instances of Hindu mythology. The Ramayana and the Mahabharata additionally have mentions about the place.
Legends say that the sacred area of Ganga Sagar is in particular good sized due to the fact of the Temple of Kapil Muni. He used to be a top notch saint and according to myths, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It is believed that Kapil Muni performed an vital position in bringing the holy Ganga River onto the earth. The story goes like this –
Thousands of years ago, 60,000 sons of King Sagar visited this location in pursuit of their father’s sacrificial horse. Devraj Indra had stolen the horse and hidden it beside Kapil Muni’s ashram. The king’s sons were unknown of the fact and began cursing the saint for stealing their father’s horse. This interrupted the rishi’s meditation and he was in an monstrous fury. The blaze of his anger exuded out of his eyes, burning the king’s sons and confining their souls to the hell.
After many years, King Sagar’s grandson, Bhagirath, advised the saint to liberate the souls from his curse. Kapil Muni steered him to carry Goddess Ganga to the location and the souls got freedom upon the touch of Her holy water. As per myth, it was the auspicious day of Makar Sankranti when the cursed souls have been freed from their ache and sins.
Gangasagar Mela is an ode to the legend, when hundreds of pilgrims take a holy dip into the Ganga River to get rid of their sins and obtain salvation.
Puja Rituals :
The Gangasagar Mela West Bengal signifies bliss, virtue and sanctification. Millions of devotees from across the world accumulate on the confluence of River Ganga and the Bay of Bengal on the occasion of Makar Sankranti. Since early sunrise, pilgrims take a dip into the sacred water to purify their souls. They worship Lord Surya and perform Tarpan rituals in the names of their ancestors. The putting puja rituals carried out by using Gangasagar Mela Naga Babas can give you goose bumps.
Devotees additionally operate Maha Puja and Yagna at Kapil Muni Temple on the day of Makar Sankranti. You will forever cherish the attractions & sounds of chanting mantras, tremendous evening aarti and numerous lighted lamps floating throughout the river at the mela.
Where is Gangasagar Mela Celebrated?
The event of Gangasagar Makar Sankranti Snan is held every year in Sagardwip, a beautiful island in the Kakdwip subdivision of South 24 Parganas, West Bengal.
Makar Sankranti Snan and Puja at Gangasagar
Ganga Sagar Mela Celebration :
Gangasagar Mela celebration will be held from 13th – 15th January, every year.
Gangasagar How to Reach?
Sagardwip, or the Sagar Island, is well-connected to Kolkata via train, Helicopter, ferry and roadways. One can board a flight or train from any city to reach Kolkata and then travel by train, bus or hired car service to reach Ganga Sagar.
Kolkata to Gangasagar By Train
- Sealdah Junction in Kolkata, West Bengal, is the nearest railway hub with an approximate distance of 106 km. There are direct local trains from Sealdah to Namkhana (104 km) and Kakdwip (92 km). The trains are Sealdah Namkhana Local & Sealdah Kakdwip Local.
- Devotees from anywhere in India can also board a train till Howrah Junction (109 km) and then take a bus or hired taxi to reach Namkhana or Harwood Point for ferry service till Sagardwip.
Kolkata To Gangasagar Distance
Regular buses ply between Kolkata and Kakdwip, making Ganga Sagar Mela easily accessible via roadways. The buses are available from Esplanade Bus Depot in Kolkata. From Kakdwip, one has to reach Hardwood Point (5 km.) to avail jetty service. One can also hire a private taxi till Kakdwip or Namkhana.
- To reach the famous Gangasagar Mela, one has to avail ferry service to cross the Muriganga River to reach Kachuberia Jetty on Sagardwip.
- Jetty service is available from Namkhana or Kakdwip (Harwood Point). The frequency of crossing is more in Harwood Point, every half an hour.
- Ferry Timings from Harwood Point to Kachuberia – 7:30am to 8.00 p.m.
- Ferry Timings from Namkhana to Kachuberia – 8.45 am. to 4.00 pm.
- From Kachuberia Jetty, take a local bus or private taxi to cross the entire strength of Sagardwip (32 km.) to reach Gangasagar Snan.
- Board a domestic or international flight till Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Dumdum, Kolkata.
- One can then avail train, roadways and ferry service to reach Sagardwip as mentioned above
- You can also reach Gangasagar Mela by a helicopter operated by the government of West Bengal every Sunday. for more details visit : https://dreamsafar.org/product-category/helicopter-services/
At DreamSafar, we bring to you the best travel plans to help you reach Ganga Sagar in the most hassle-free & convenient manner. Contact us on 09650747276/9933507757 or write to us at [email protected] for our exclusive tour packages. and accommodation and car rental service.
Gangasagar Accommodation & Hotels :
- Gangasagar Mela Private Camp Tent
- Gangasagar Cottage
- Sagar Cottage
- Gangasagar Tourist Lodge
- Gangasagar Youth Hostel
- Gangasagar Loknath Bhawan
- GS Trust
Places to Visit Near Gangasagar Mela
If you plan to extend your tour, here are some places to visit near Gangasagar Mela:
- Kapil Muni Temple located at South Sagardwip
- Sagar Port and Lighthouse at Beguakhali
- Exotic sea beach
- Sagar Marine Park at South Sagar Island
- Chimaguri Mudflat, the entry point to West Bengal’s famous mangrove forest
- Sushama Devichowdhurani Marine Biological Research Institute at Bamankhali
- Nagraj Temple, Manasadwip.
- Manasadevi Temple, Dhablat.
- Keep your belongings and money safe amid tremendous rush during the time of Sagar Mela. Your hotel room should be securely locked every time.
- Carry few warm clothes as the month of January may be chilly at Sagar Island.
- Carry emergency lights or electric torches as power supply is not stable in the island.
- Do not travel at night.
- Do not litter the Ganga Sagar and the island to avoid stringent government penalties.
At DreamSafar, we strive to make every journey most comfortable & memorable for you. To book Gangasagar tour, contact us on 09650747276/9933507757 or write to us at [email protected] We will get back to you soon with a complete itinerary based on your travel needs and budget.